Nutella Sea Salt Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Create the most epic cookies with this Nutella Sea Salt Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from favourite chef Charlotte Ree. The brown butter adds a rich, nutty taste to these cookies and creates the most wonderful aroma in your kitchen.
- 250g salted butter, room temperature
- 160g CSR Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 115g CSR Demerara Sugar
- 1 egg
- 300g White Wings Plain Flour
- 160g milk chocolate chips
- Sea salt
- Brown 125g of butter over a medium heat until amber in colour, stirring occasionally. Ensure that you keep an eye on the saucepan as it only takes a few seconds to burn the butter. Once browned, pour the butter (including all of the solid brown butter bits at the bottom of the pan) into a small bowl and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, cream the remaining butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, browned butter, Demerara sugar and egg, and mix until combined.
- Add your flour and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and fold in the chocolate chips. Roll into a log, wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge for 1hr.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove from the fridge, roll the dough into walnut sized balls and place on a baking tray, leaving 5cm gaps between each cookie to allow for spreading.
- Put your Nutella jar in a bowl of hot water for 2-3 mins to make the Nutella silky and smooth, allowing you to spoon it easily onto the top of your cookies.
- Flatten the cookies slightly using your hand. Top each cookie with a spoonful of Nutella and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 13 mins or until cookies are golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Repeat until you have baked all of your dough.
Coat the chocolate chips in a little flour prior to adding to the dough as it prevents the chips from sinking to the bottom of the cookie.