Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut Wreath with Spiced Cherries
Prep: 35 mins, plus proving and chilling
Cook: 55 mins
A sensational centre piece at any table this Christmas. This Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut Wreath with Spiced Cherries is a tear and share festive treat that your family and guests will love!
- 3 tsp (10g) dried yeast
- ¼ cup (55g) CSR Caster Sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) milk, warmed
- 2 egg yolks
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/3 cups (500g) White Wings Plain Flour, plus extra to dust
- ½ cup (70g) roasted peeled hazelnuts, plus extra chopped to serve
- 70g dark chocolate, chopped
- 80g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110g) CSR Demerara Sugar
- 1 tbs finely grated orange rind
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- To serve: icing sugar and double cream
- 300g fresh pitted cherries
- 165g CSR Caster Sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- For spiced cherries, stir cherries, sugar, citrus rind and juices in a medium saucepan until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; refrigerate to chill.
- Combine yeast, half caster sugar and milk in a large bowl. Stand in a warm place for 10 minutes. Add egg yolks, butter, ¾ cup warm water, flour, ½ tsp salt and remaining sugar. Stir until combined. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured baking paper to a 45cm x 25cm rectangle and place it on a prepared tray. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 h to firm.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a large, flat oven tray. Process hazelnut and chocolate in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Combine butter, 1/3 cup demerara sugar, orange rind and mixed spice in a small bowl. Spread butter over dough, leaving a 1cm border. Top with choc-hazelnut mixture and gently press into butter. Firmly roll dough up from one long side, using baking paper as a guide. Trim ends, then cut dough in half lengthwise. Turn halves, cut-side down on baking paper, then twist together. Form twisted lengths into a ring, pressing the two ends together to join.
- Transfer ring carefully onto oven tray. Brush with egg wash and scatter with extra Demerara sugar. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 180C, bake for a further 30 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar and top with extra chopped hazelnuts, spiced cherries and double cream.