Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 40 mins
The ultimate indulgent dessert with a rich and creamy middle, topped with a crunchy caramelised layer. Become Ruler of Brûlée and steal the show with this enticing Creme Brûlée recipe.
Follow our tips to master this classic French dessert.
- 8 egg yolks
- 100g CSR Caster Sugar
- 600ml fresh cream
- 200ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 tbsp of CSR Raw Sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 140°C.
- Pour the cream and milk into a small saucepan.
- Cut the vanilla bean down the middle and with a teaspoon carefully scrape out the fine seeds inside, then add all seeds and skin (or vanilla extract) to the milk and cream.
- Mix regularly over a medium heat, bringing the mixture to a gentle simmer and being careful not to let it boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the yolks and caster sugar together then slowly add the hot cream mixture, (a little at first) then keep mixing until combined. Strain the mix into a large pouring jug.
- Using 6-8 cup size (roughly 200ml) heat proof ramekins, fill with the brûlée mix, then place into a deep baking tray.
- Fill the baking tray with boiling water until halfway up the ramekin, then carefully place into the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the water bath and place in the fridge until cool (minimum of 4 hours).
- Once the brûlées are cold, clean the rims and sides of the ramekins.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw sugar to the top of each brûlée. Using a kitchen blow torch melt the sugar on top until it’s a lovely, deep rich caramel colour.
- Repeat until all are caramelised, then serve immediately. Bon appetit.
- Cover the brûlée custard top completely with CSR raw sugar and evenly distribute it to create the perfect toffee top.
- If you burn the sugar too much it can be fixed if necessary. Simply scrape off the top layer, add more sugar and repeat the process.
- We love using CSR raw sugar for the caramelisation of the top of the brûlée as it adds a deeper, richer flavour and colour.