Raspberry Rosewater Pink Velvet Marshmallow Cake
The three components of this Raspberry Rosewater Pink Velvet Marshmallow Cake make this an absolute showstopper.
It combines layers of pink velvet cake, filling with rosewater cream and an outside coating of marshmallow.
- 250g butter, softened, chopped
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (440g) CSR Caster Sugar
- 2½ cups (375g) White Wings plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 3 tsp rose pink food colouring
- 185g raspberries
Raspberry Rosewater Cream:
- 185g raspberries
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- 300ml thickened (heavy) cream
- ¼ cup (40g) CSR Pure Icing Sugar
- ¾ cup (165g) CSR Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp glucose syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tsp rosewater
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two 20cm (8-inch) round cake pans; line base and side with three layers of baking paper.
- Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg whites, vanilla, sugar, flour and buttermilk.
- Stir bicarb soda and vinegar in a small bowl until foamy; stir in colouring. Add to butter mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 mins or until mixture turns a paler colour (mixture may look slightly curdled at this stage). Divide mixture between pans.
- Bake cakes for 45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pans for 5 mins before turning, top-side down, onto wire racks covered with greased baking paper to cool. Split cakes in half.
- For the raspberry rosewater cream, crush raspberries lightly with rosewater in a small bowl. Beat cream and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Fold raspberry mixture through cream mixture.
- Place one cake layer on a plate, spread with one-third of the raspberry rosewater cream, leaving a 1cm border around edge. Repeat layering with remaining cakes and raspberry rosewater cream, finishing with cake.
- For the rosewater marshmallow, stir 2/3 cup (150g) sugar, glucose, the water and rosewater in a small saucepan over medium heat without boiling until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil 3 mins or until syrup reaches 115°C on a candy thermometer (or when a small amount of syrup dropped into a cup of cold water can be rolled into a soft ball). Remove pan from heat to allow the bubbles to subside.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form; beat in remaining sugar until dissolved. With motor operating, add hot syrup in a thin stream, beating on high speed for 5 mins or until mixture is thick and cooled. Use immediately.
- Working quickly, use a metal spatula to spread marshmallow over top and side of cake, making peaks and swirls. Serve cake with