Mini Christmas Houses
If gingerbread houses seem a little too complicated for Christmas baking, try these Mini Christmas Houses instead. Get the kids in the kitchen to help with decorating the mini houses in Christmas coloured lollies and sprinkling the “snow” of icing sugar.
- 250g butter, diced and softened
- 1 cup CSR Caster Sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups White Wings plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 10g butter
- 1½ cups CSR Soft Icing Mixture
- Additional lollies
- CSR Soft Icing Mixture, to act as snow
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until pale and creamy. Add egg and vanilla mixing until well incorporated. Continue beating on low speed whilst gradually adding the flour and baking powder.
- Remove biscuit dough to a lightly floured surface and bring mixture together with your hands until smooth. Form into a ball, flatten slightly and refrigerate covered for 20 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- Roll dough out onto a lightly floured benchtop to 3-4mm thickness. Cut into 5 x 7cm rectangles, with approx. 10 cut out to 5 x 8cm rectangles. Place onto oven trays, prick with a fork several times and bake for 10 mins until cooked through and golden underneath. Allow to cool on tray for several mins before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough until all has been used.
- Prepare icing by heating the water and butter until butter has melted. Add to icing sugar and mix well. Allow to sit to come to desired consistency if required. Spoon between two piping bags, one with a fine round nozzle and the other with a small star shaped nozzle.
- Using the larger biscuits as the base, pipe a little of the icing from the fine nozzle over the biscuit to attach another biscuit. Allow a step at the front of the house. Using the same nozzle, pipe along the sides to hold a further two biscuits to act as the roof. Allow to set for several mins. Then use icing to attach jubes to the sides of the house.
- Using the small star shaped nozzle, pipe decorative dots along the top of the roof and attach a marshmallow to act as a chimney. Add any other decorations as desired.