Lemon Drizzle Slice
A sweet zesty teatime classic, this lemon drizzle slice is light, moist and easy to make. Perfect treat with a cuppa or in the the lunchbox.
Using CSR Raw Caster Sugar in this lemony slice adds a soft rich caramel aroma which enhances the citrus flavours of this easy to make slice.
- 250g butter, softened
- 200g CSR Raw Caster Sugar, plus 50g for the topping
- 200g White Wings self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 large lemons, zest and juice
- 3 large eggs
- 100g mixed dried fruit (optional)
- 50ml full cream milk
- 1 small pinch salt
- 150g CSR Pure Icing Sugar, sifted
- Peel of ½ a lemon, yellow part only, cut very fine
- Preheat oven to 170°C and butter a 20cm x 30cm baking tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Cream the butter, CSR Raw Caster Sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue beating until well combined.
- Slowly beat in the flour, ground almonds, salt and milk to make a smooth batter. Stir in the dried fruit if using it.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Smooth the top and bake for 35-40 mins until golden brown and a test skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven to cool.
- Mix the remaining 50g of CSR Raw Caster Sugar with two-thirds of the lemon juice to make a syrup. Pierce the cake all over with a skewer and drizzle the lemon syrup over it while it’s still warm and in the tin. Allow to cool fully.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sifted icing sugar with the remaining lemon juice to form a smooth, slightly runny icing. Add a little water, if you need to.
- Once the slice has fully cooled, drizzle lemon icing all over the cake and decorate with scattered fine shreds of lemon peel.