These Gingerbread Cupcakes are the epitome of Christmas cheer. Visually they are spectacular – a caramel coloured cupcake adorned with a delicious piping of vanilla buttercream. A gingerbread star is nestled into the buttercream and the cupcake dusted with golden sparkles…..magical!! One to get the kids in the kitchen for. Recipe by My Lovely Little Lunch Box.
- 1 cup (250ml) plain or Greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup (190ml) lightly flavoured olive oil
- ¾ cup (165g) CSR Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) CSR Treacle
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 2 cups (300 grams) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ginger, ground
- 2 tsp mixed spice, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- Pinch of salt
- 2 x 250g CSR Vanilla Buttercream Icing mixture
- 320g butter
- 6 tsp water
- 12 store-bought gingerbread cookies
- gold sprinkles
- To make the gingerbread cupcakes: Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Place the yoghurt, eggs, olive oil, sugar, treacle and vanilla bean paste into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger, mixed spice, cinnamon and salt into the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared tin and bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before placing the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually add buttercream icing mix and water, beating continuously until smooth, approximately 3-5 minutes. Place the buttercream into a piping bag.
- To decorate: Pipe a generous swirl of buttercream onto each cupcake.
- Decorate each cupcake with a gingerbread cookie and sprinkles.