Fruit Topped Skillet Cake by Donna Hay
Forget searching the cupboards for the right cake tin. Your humble frying pan or skillet works double time here to create this perfect one-pan cake by Donna Hay!
- 125g unsalted butter
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (165g) CSR Raw Caster (superfine) Sugar, plus extra
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
- 1½ cups (225g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 3 stone fruits of your choice, stones removed and sliced into wedges+
- 1½ cups (185g) fresh or frozen raspberries+
- vanilla bean yoghurt or ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Place the butter, milk and vanilla into a 22cm (8½ inch) ovenproof frying pan. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted, then remove from the heat.
- Add the caster sugar and coconut and mix to combine. Add the flour and baking powder and mix until smooth. Add the eggs and mix to combine.
- Top the cake mix with the fruit and berries and sprinkle with extra sugar. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Serve cake warm with vanilla bean yoghurt or ice-cream.
You can switch up the fruit and berries with so many different combinations. Try 2 small apples sliced into wedges, or 2 small pears sliced into wedges. Blueberries and blackberries work well, too.