Plum Jam Scrolls
- Difficulty Hard
1. To make the jam, wash plums and cut in half to remove stone. Cut each half into thirds. Add to a large pot with water and cook over a low heat until fruit has softened.
2. Add sugar to the pot and cook, stirring until dissolved. Continue cooking for 10 mins, do not boil.
3. Pour jam into warm sterilised jars, seal and allow to cool. Refrigerate once opened. Makes 5 jars worth.
4. Pre-heat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Grease and line an oven tray.
5. For the dough; combine milk, yeast and sugar in a bowl and set aside for several minutes until mixture becomes frothy and yeast is activated.
6. Combine flour and butter in a food processor and process until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add yeast mixture, sour cream, egg and salt. Process until dough comes together.
7. Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Place into a lightly oiled bowl, cover loosely with a tea towel and rest in a warm place for approx. 1 hour until doubled in size.
8. Once dough has risen, tip onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently and divide into 8 portions. Roll each out to a 12 x 30cm rectangle. Spread each with 2 teaspoons of jam, leaving a 2cm border around the edge.
9. Roll dough from the longer side to form a log, Swiss roll style. Pinch ends to hold together. Starting approx 3cm from one end, cut in half lengthways to expose the rolled layers inside. Gently twist the layers over each other like a braid. Tuck the braid over itself to form a circle then place onto the prepared oven tray. Cover loosely and set aside for 30 mins to risen.
10. Bake for 25 mins. Allow to cool on a wire rack and brush with some warmed jam before enjoying.