Sugar Australia Pty Limited was established in March 1998 as a joint venture between CSR Limited (50%), Mackay Sugar Co-operative Association Limited (25%), and ED&F Mann (25%).
In 2004, CSR purchased ED&F Mann's share of the joint venture, and CSR now hold 75%.
Sugar Australia has a strong parentage. CSR - an Australian icon - has been involved in the local sugar industry since 1855.
Mackay Sugar Co-operative is the largest private company in Queensland.
Sugar Australia's key refining interests are:
- A sugar refinery at Yarraville in Melbourne, Victoria.
- A sugar refinery at the Racecourse Mill in Mackay, Queensland.
- The MV "Pioneer", a BIBO (bulk-in, bulk/bag-out) specialised refined sugar bulk carrier.
- Depot and/or port facilities in Mackay, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.
- The CSR Sugar brand for marketing retail sugar.